Vital Signs: T,P,R,BP
If fever and rash, plan to report patient to your referral
doctor. The doctor will probably need to report the disease to the
(1) Location: It may help to make a drawing to show where the skin
Example: skin problems in these areas.
- Number of lesions
- Size and shape
- Is it raised / flat / depressed?
- color, moisture.
(2) Other appearance
Feel the area:
- Is it tender to touch?
- What does it feel like (soft, firm, hard)?
Other exam, if needed:
- If a lump, is it movable or attached to something?
- Try to pick up or move skin over the lump.
- Try to move/slide lump over tissue that is underneath.
- If swollen area, check for pitting edema: press thumb firmly
into skin for 1-2 seconds.
Feel for enlarged lymph nodes in the area (p. 385).
- If felt, note size, tenderness, and if moveable.